Here in Southern California, where it is perpetually sunny and dependably warm, you may have forgotten that Fall is upon us. But as you may recall from years past, cooler temperatures are in store for these upcoming months. So, now is the time to prepare your home. Before it gets too cold, be sure to implement these tips on getting your HVAC system Fall and Winter ready.
Getting your HVAC system prepared for Fall:
- Be sure that your house is not wasting any energy. One of the biggest culprits of a wasteful HVAC system is the home itself. So, it is vital to check that it is not losing any energy to the outside. This should entail repairing gaps around the perimeter of your home. Also consider checking entryways for explicit damage, redoing the sealant around doors and windows, and repairing cracks in the foundation of the house. Each check will ensure that your HVAC system runs with optimized efficiency this Fall and Winter.
- Schedule an annual maintenance check. Be proactive in the health of your HVAC system and schedule your yearly checkup before the cold comes. Maintenance checks are essential for your system’s efficient and long-lived use. They will also help you identify any issues before they become too serious.
- Give your heating system a test run. Just like your car needs to warm up on chilly days, so does your heating system. The transition to cold weather can be a shock if you do not turn it on once or twice prior to regular use. And during these trial runs, let the system warm up and identify any problems you notice.
- Replace filters. You’ve probably heard us talk about this once or twice before. But, this simple task can make a big difference in the longevity and efficiency of your HVAC system. Find a new filter at most hardware stores!
- Clean your outdoor unit. As Fall brings cooler weather, it will also bring fallen leaves. And so, during this time of year, it is especially important to keep an eye on accumulating debris. While you may have to make a few trips, make it a priority to keep your system as clean as possible as dirt and leaves can cause significant damage.
While the cooler temperatures of Fall are a welcomed break from Southern California heat, it will soon get cold. And as you anticipate this shift, make sure that your home is adequately prepared. If, in the process of making checks and replacing parts, you find something particularly wrong with your HVAC system, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at NIR heating and air. We are your local, Inland Empire HVAC repair service and we are prepared to assist you this Fall. Call on us today for expert and experienced service!